Storms moving through CNY...
Posted September 10th, 2013 by Bill Kardas. 46 comments
An MCS set off by a warm front passed through the area this morning, producing heavy rain, lightning, and numerous power outages.
Thunderstorms don't have to be severe to create problems. Lightning hitting the wrong spot could still cause many headaches. Nearly 5,000 residents in New Hartford and parts of Utica lost power around 7am. Two local schools delayed due to the power outages. Heavy rain slowed down traffic during the morning rush.
Day is Young...
A warm front pushing through this morning will jack up the dew point and temperature this afternoon. A huge surge of summer weather arrives as the storms earlier today depart. Breaks of sunshine are possible heading into the afternoon.
Conditions in the environment later today are favor severe weather. There will be a very high amount of instability and some wind shear in the environment. CAPE approaches 3000j/kg (higher in some models), LI is -8 (also higher in some models), and the Helicity is close to 300 on BUFKIT. These are very high for this part of the country.
The way the rest of the day plays out is up for debate. Our focus is on when and where thunderstorms develop. There's even the chance that they don't develop if the trigger isn't strong enough. We'll keep you posted throughout the day.
Recent Comments on this Entry
- Neil (South Utica - Genesee St.) September 12th, 6:41 AM
- Koz (Ilion) September 12th, 5:57 AM
- Tom (Richfield Springs) September 12th, 5:41 AM
- Denys (East Winfield) September 12th, 5:32 AM
- Kenny (South utica) September 11th, 10:08 PM
- Kenny (South utica) September 11th, 9:45 PM
- Gordon (Northwestern) September 11th, 9:25 PM
- Neil (South Utica - Genesee St.) September 11th, 8:47 PM
- Neil (South Utica - Genesee St.) September 11th, 8:17 PM
- sue (fairfield) September 11th, 7:32 PM
- A Plethora of Precipitation Types 2 days ago
- December meltdown... 3 days ago
- A break from early winter... 5 days ago
- An End to Meteorological Fall November 30th, 2013
- Lake effect Thanksgiving... November 28th, 2013
- From Wet to White... November 26th, 2013
- Morning Update... November 26th, 2013
- A Messy Midweek Mix November 25th, 2013