Cold weather continues...
Posted February 26th, 2014 by Bill Kardas. 96 comments
The cold winter continues here in Central New York. The weather headlines are as follows: cold, wind, and light snow. This has been the theme this entire winter. Things don't look to change in the short run, but the clock will run out on winter.
An arctic front passed through the area early this morning, bringing a few snow showers and a brief squall south of the Mohawk Valley. Behind the front, temperatures are in the single digits across Western New York. This pool of cold air will wash over Central New York this afternoon, keeping temperatures in the lower teens this afternoon. With a blustery west wind between 15-20mph, the wind chill will be near or below zero at times today. BUNDLE UP!
Lake effect snow will linger today across the north country. The wind direction stays generally 270 today. BUFKIT shows the band pinching south for a few hours this evening close to or just north of the Mohawk Valley (5-7pm). It shouldn't last for long, but it is something to watch. The good news is the bitterly cold air should help shrink the band, preventing the heaviest snow from extending into our viewing area. Also, the late February sun should break apart the band during the afternoon hours.
Another clipper arrives on Thursday, bringing widespread light snow. This will serve to reinforce cold weather in Central New York. High pressure returns on Friday, delivering sunshine but temperatures will not climb out of the low teens. Some spots on Friday may only top out in the single digits. A tough feat to achieve this late in the month!
The cold blast will retreat to the north over the weekend.
Recent Comments on this Entry
- huali10cai (CHINA) March 27th, 4:02 AM
- qq123456 (newyork) March 17th, 9:40 PM
- Louis (Barneveld) February 28th, 7:33 AM
- Louis (Barneveld) February 28th, 7:11 AM
- Rob (Whitesboro) February 28th, 7:06 AM
- Nick (West Winfield ) February 28th, 6:43 AM
- Neil (South Utica - Genesee St.) February 28th, 6:38 AM
- Louis (Barneveld) February 28th, 5:59 AM
- Denys (East Winfield) February 28th, 5:27 AM
- Bill Kardas (WKTV) February 28th, 4:57 AM
- Where are the Dog Days of Summer? August 13th, 2014
- Late summer slump... August 12th, 2014
- Pleasant weekend, rough spots down the road... August 8th, 2014
- Summer summer summer... August 5th, 2014
- July Recap August 1st, 2014
- Quick taste of fall, then back to summer... July 29th, 2014
- Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Weekend July 26th, 2014
- Severe Weather in CNY July 14th, 2014