Cold by the numbers...
Posted January 24th, 2013 by Bill Kardas. 47 comments
Our weather team was the only one that nailed the forecast last night...a bitterly cold night across the area. Once again, close to 60 reports. Have a peak:
A BIG THANK YOU to those that checked in this morning. Like I mentioned yesterday, I do apologize if I didn't get to your reports. It's quite a task sifting through all the data. Feel free to post the information below.
Yesterday we talked about the frequency of bitter cold temperatures in CNY. Today, lets talk about low temperatures. We set the coldest low temperature at Griffiss for the winter last night at -14°. How does that stack up compared to other years? Have a look at the past 3 winters...
Coldest temperature vs year:
-14 in 2013 (so far)
-15 in 2012 (the winter that wasn't still managed to get cold)
-21 in 2011
-13 in 2010
In order to really get a bearing on the 'average coldest temperature of the winter', we'd have to go back through 30 years of data. I'd estimate that number would be somewhere around -12 degrees give or take a few (2006-2009 was not all that cold). So, this cold snap does fall in line with the climate of our region.
We're in the freezer box for today, tonight, and early tomorrow before things begin to improve. I think tonight will be another repeat of last night, with clear skies and bitterly cold conditions. Friday's high finally brings us out of the single digits to the teens. By next week, temperatures will actually climb above freezing, with the potential for rain in the forecast too. We shall see!
Recent Comments on this Entry
- sue (fairfield) January 26th, 8:46 AM
- Jill Reale (Utica) January 26th, 8:10 AM
- nugfin (Neil) (South Utica - Genesee St.) January 26th, 8:08 AM
- Brian (Lairdsville) January 26th, 7:57 AM
- Jill Reale (Utica) January 26th, 7:48 AM
- Denys (East Winfield) January 26th, 7:46 AM
- weatherjan-Oneida (Oneida) January 26th, 7:12 AM
- Tom (Richfield Springs) January 26th, 5:10 AM
- Adam Musyt January 25th, 11:02 PM
- Rob (Whitesboro) January 25th, 10:39 PM
- More thunderstorms & heavy rain on the way.... yesterday
- Strong storms possible again today... 2 days ago
- What it takes to make a violent tornado... 3 days ago
- Summer-Like Weather for the Beginning of the Week 5 days ago
- How Doppler Radar is used to track tornadoes May 16th, 2013
- Late season widespread frost... May 14th, 2013
- Snow on Mother’s Day May 12th, 2013
- More Rain and a Weekend Cool Down May 9th, 2013