Big pattern shift ahead...
Posted September 12th, 2013 by Bill Kardas. 23 comments
Yesterday's 93° temperature broke the record set back on the date in 1947. Hard to believe, but by tomorrow temperatures will be struggling to get to 60°. A cold front moving through today will put an end to the summer heat and humidity.
Rest of Thursday
As of 10:30am this morning, the cold front is about ready to cross into Western NYS. Thunderstorms are beginning to develop ahead of the front, and will pass through CNY this afternoon. Heavy rain, gusty winds are possible today. SPC has CNY in slight risk again. We'll monitor the situation and bring you up to speed if any severe weather develops.
Drop in humidity & temperature
After passage of the fronts (it looks like two actually pass through, within a few hours of each other), the weather clears out for Friday. As upper level 850mb temperatures plunge into the single digits tomorrow morning, lake effect clouds develop. Diurnal clouds (instability caused by the heating of the sun over a cool air mass) blossom in the afternoon. There's enough instability to generate a few showers along the higher terrain. Lake effect rain showers look to be confined to the west, due to a northerly wind flow. Gusty winds and temperatures in the 50s will remind you more of October rather than September weather.
High pressure dominates weekend
A large high pressure system slides in behind the cool weather. This high will dominate the skies this weekend, bringing plenty of sunshine. Highs during the day will climb into the 60s, with overnight lows in the 30s and 40s. Indeed, there is the potential for patchy frost again - mainly in areas that already saw it earlier in the month. The best chances are Saturday and Monday night. We'll fine tune that part of the forecast over the next few days.
Recent Comments on this Entry
- uptono (hgfhf) December 1st, 9:45 PM
- QQQ (Pasadine) November 11th, 4:10 PM
- Gordon (Northwestern) September 16th, 8:06 AM
- Norm (Floyd, NY) September 16th, 8:01 AM
- Neil (South Utica - Genesee St.) September 16th, 6:40 AM
- Tom (Richfield Springs) September 16th, 5:08 AM
- Denys (East Winfield) September 16th, 4:56 AM
- Louis (Barneveld) September 15th, 8:38 PM
- Jill Reale (Utica) September 15th, 7:00 PM
- Louis (Barneveld) September 15th, 5:34 PM
- Mixed Precipitation Monday 6 hours ago
- A Plethora of Precipitation Types 3 days ago
- December meltdown... 4 days ago
- A break from early winter... 6 days ago
- An End to Meteorological Fall November 30th, 2013
- Lake effect Thanksgiving... November 28th, 2013
- From Wet to White... November 26th, 2013
- Morning Update... November 26th, 2013